Monday, January 24, 2011

Max in Winter

In summer our cats Max and Masia are pretty much look-alikes. Though they are not blood-related, there is a reason why they resemble each other (see “Our Furry Stress Busters - 2” for explanation). 

But somewhere around Thanksgiving Max starts to expand. While Masia seems not to be impacted by dropping temperatures (she remains sleek and elegant), Max becomes more and more furry.
“Look at me, just look at me! What am I supposed to do with all this fur?”

He is not happy about it and about things in general.

The first time he saw snow he was very enthusiastic. He lifted up his little flat face so that it was practically parallel to the sky and tried to figure out where these white things were falling from. He also chased them around the deck.

But then he realized that green grass was gone and with it – chipmunks, and baby moles, and mice, and rabbits. He had no one to play with and to chase after. He was disappointed.  

And I got a strong impression that he blamed me for all these unfortunate changes.

I guess his logic was the following: as I was, in his opinion, the person responsible for all important things in our house (such as, food and comfort) then, I also should have been the one who controlled weather. He was incapable of preventing me from spoiling it, but at least, he could show me his uncompromised disapproval.

I did what all the arrogant adults do around unhappy minors – pretended that I was unaware of his feelings. I joined everyone in patting him and telling him how cute he was, because he was awfully cute in spite of his attitude.

When he entered the room as a scowled furry cloud on short paws people usually reacted “Whoa-a!” and rushed to touch and pull at him. 

In the early February his fur turned to felt. Once rubbing his belly I noticed an egg-size spot of bare skin. The spot was accurately oval and had a pink tint that seemed inappropriate. I rushed to my computer to make a quick research on feline skin problems.

First of all, I must warn everyone – never do any research in panic. But if you did (I probably would anyway) please, do not trust your conclusions. Because in such state of mind all  scary conditions look exactly like the one you are researching. 

I was convinced that Max got ringworm. When (and where) I grew up this condition was considered extremely contagious and impacted cats were not even treated. They were…

In the vet hospital my husband and I were reassured that it was not the case anymore. Max was promised doctor’s attention even though he had no prior appointment.

Waiting for the doctor in the lobby with Max in the carrier on my lap, I was  watching  very well-behaved big dogs with their owners passing by. Dogs looked like they did not mind it, even the one with front paw in cast and in plastic bag wrapped around it.  Its owner was deservingly relaxed and smiling.

I was neither. I worried that Max was scared and tried to cover the carrier with my puffy parka sleeves so that he could not see the dogs. But he did not need to see them to know - they were there. Max also sensed my anxiety (cats can do this). From time to time he screamed and tried to get out. This added to my neurosis which added to his…

When finally we got into the doctor’s office we both were shaken and Max did not want to behave. He lashed his claws at anyone approaching him. The doctor offered a sedative shot for Max and I asked one for me. Everyone (except Max) laughed.

It was not ringworm – just fur peeled away by excessive self-grooming. The doctor trimmed it a little and we took Max home enormously relieved. I mean my husband and me, because Max was still very upset.

So much so, that he peed in the car on our way home. He was still in the carrier on my knees when it happened. I remember being surprised that the smell of his urine was actually much lighter than the one coming from the litter box.

But with regard to the cause of the accident my husband and I  disagree completely. I think, it was Max’s reaction to stress, while my husband is adamant that Max had just to hold it for too long being  away from his litter through the ordeal.

I guess, he can not admit such a weakness in a male member of our family.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sveta -- what a big, beautiful cat! We also had a cat who in her middle years started obsessively grooming herself for no reason that we could discern. Her stomach was completely hairless, and her paws were nearly so -- it looked like she had sweat socks on. To treat it the vet prescribed Valium, which didn’t alleviate the excessive grooming but it did sharply reduce her puking to once every couple of days instead of 3-6 times a day, and THAT helped ME immensely. (Some cats just puke a lot, and our dear Angelina was such a cat.) The Valium didn’t seem to have any noticeable side effects and eventually the over-grooming slowed and then stopped, and we didn’t know why any more than we know why it started. So, our Angelina was a drug addict for about half of her 16 years.

    ReplyDelete