Monday, February 21, 2011

Vitamix

Hurray, we've received the Vitamix blender!
Victoria Boutenko recommended us for the company promotion.
That's my  new blender
For those who do not know what Vitamix is, I will just say that it is a powerful blender which can do not only very creamy smoothies but much, much more. You can also check it on the Internet if you never heard of it.
And to understand why we are so lucky see “Dismissal, Introduction…”
With my old blender (the one that I kept in the garage because  of its noise) I made the same recipe again and again – put in some greens (usually one or two varieties) and two bananas for taste.  It was not bad - banana makes the drink thicker and sweeter (actually a little-bit too sweet).  My husband tried once to use oranges instead of bananas – the mixture came out watery and quite acidic.
We got discouraged and decided not to experiment with other fruits - just stick with bananas.
But no matter how I like smoothies and the way they make me feel, after a while, I’ve gotten bored with their sweet taste. On the other hand I really love creamy soups but don't have them too often, because they are usually over-processed. Chefs like to roast or bake ingredients, then cool them, then blend them together and after that heat the mixture again.
Double-cooking leaves hardly any nutrients in the final product, besides there is an opinion that it makes food carcinogenic (see “Paul Bragg and Other Gurus“). So I’ve been thinking about something raw and nutritious, yet yummy (but not sweet for a change!) 
Actually I had an idea in mind for quite a while. In S. and V. Boutenkos’ book “Fresh” I found the recipe of the raw beets soup called “borscht”. Needless to say that I made traditional borsch (that is my spelling of it!) a zillion times in my life. But since in America we somehow stopped eating soups at dinner. 
OK, I became lazy! 
Still you cannot make such a dish in a low-speed blender, for which reason my plans had to be postponed. But when the Vitamix arrived I immediately made my proud announcement.
My husband unfortunately did not share my enthusiasm:
-          Let’s first do our usual smoothie and see how the thing works.
-          But don’t you like something different now when we’ve got the means?
It turned out, he did not. In fact he liked almost nothing I suggested – no spinach soup, no humus, not even salsa. Of spinach, he was particularly apprehensive. It reminded him of something dull and dreadful from his early childhood. 
After bargaining for a while we met each other in the middle - that is, on a simpler recipe of the cream of celery soup. Here it is:
1 medium bunch celery, chopped
3 cups of water
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
Spicy pepper to taste
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 avocado, sliced
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
The first 6 ingredients are blended until creamy; others are added to the ready soup. It serves 5.
I made it on Thursday and here is my report on the experience:

The soup was ready in 10 min. This time included washing of the blender before its first use as it is recommended by the instruction, and actual  preparation. It also included: opening and closing the door for cats who first wanted out (one after another), and the next moment, and in the same order – in.
My version  of  raw cream of celery soup - with a dash of dill
What is important - we both liked it!
I expected significant noise from this much larger and heavier appliance  but it was actually quieter than my old blender and even easy to clean.

So, raw borsch is definitely on the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment