Monday, March 21, 2011

Borsch - as Promised

After the success of the raw celery soup I was determined to make raw borsch from the same book (Sergey and Valya Boutenko, Fresh. The Ultimate Live-Food Cookbook).
Here is the recipe:
3 cups water
3 beets
1 small gingerroot, sliced
3-4 large garlic cloves
6-7 bay leaves
2 cups water
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 peeled oranges with seeds removed (to avoid bitterness)
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup walnuts
¼ head cabbage grated
1-2 carrots grated
½ bunch parsley chopped
The first 5 of these ingredients must be blended, others – finely chopped and it serves up to 6 people.
The celery soup had been gone so fast that my confidence in the ‘Borsch project’ grew real strong. I decided this time to make a full portion.
I cut beets into large chunks and felt already happy for not being asked to grate them. ( Raw beets are extremely good for your blood, but grating them takes some effort and is quite messy!) I also put only two oranges instead of three, because mine were large. Other than that I followed the instruction.  
Here is the result
For some reasons, though, I misjudged  the '6 people' mentioned in the recipe. I took them for rather moderate eaters, probably trying to lose weight and watching their portions.  My husband’s guess is that I was just hungry at the moment.
Well, I definitely  underestimated them!
The borsch poured out from the Vitamix filled the large salad bowl which I use for Thanksgiving dinners.  We started tasting it already anxious of not being able to eat it all. And what would I do with the rest? I cannot throw such a good thing away.
These thoughts were not exactly appetite – boosting. Still we liked it a lot!  
We ate two servings each and then I had one more out of guilty conscience.   The rest was put into the fridge to delay uncomfortable decisions.
The next day, however, I changed my mind and after warming it up a little, finished the borsch. By keeping it for so long and heating slightly, I probably lost some nutrients but still as the soup was never boiled, there must’ve been plenty of nutrients left.
And it was as good  and fresh the next day as it was the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment